SKIPPERS CANYON TOUR
The tour includes:
- Flexible itinerary and starting time
- Personalized tour for solo visitors or small groups (2-4 people)
- Snacks together with tea, coffee & bottled water provided
- Photographic tuition & guidance
- Complimentary high resolution digital images of you during the tour (applies on Full Day Tour only)
- Air-conditioned 4WD vehicle with WiFi on board
- Your local guide, who holds the public liability insurance, first aid certification and Passenger Service license that are the legal requirements for running this kind of business safely
- Pick-ups and drop-offs from your accommodation in Queenstown
Skippers Canyon is one of the most famous photographers’ haven in the whole of Queenstown. A visit to this paradise gives you a rare chance to explore Queenstown’s back country and experience a really remarkable insight into the unique allures of Skippers Canyon history. This particular spot is renowned worldwide due to the gold rush.
Once a busy gold mining spot, the canyon was, and still remains, accessible by the famous Skippers Road. Initially built by hand in the 1800s, the road passes through the canyon high above the Shotover River. The gravel road, which stretches for about 26.5 km, carved by hand by the gold miners over 140 years ago, is created from a very narrow cut right in the middle of the cliff face and its famed to be one of New Zealand’s most iconic roads. It has also been ranked as one of the most dangerous roads in the world in some publications. With amazingly sweeping views along the gorge as well as those of the Shotover River way below, you will have many photo opportunities with every turn.
Besides its rich history, it provides several opportunities of taking great and unforgettable photos. You will have numerous chances to take memorable photos of spectacular landscapes at various stops. An outdoor picnic of refreshments will be part of the package. You will as well have a chance to stroll through the restored Skippers Schoolhouse which offers you a peek into the Skippers Canyon historical past.