Places to see and photograph in the Glenorchy & Paradise
The tour includes:
- Flexible itinerary and starting time
- Personalized/private tour for solo visitors or small groups (2-4 people)
- Snacks or picnic lunch together with tea, coffee & bottled water provided
- Photographic tuition & guidance
- Complimentary high resolution digital images of you during the tour (applies on Full Day Tour only)
- Air-conditioned 4WD vehicle with WiFi on board
- Your local guide, who holds the public liability insurance, first aid certification and Passenger Service license that are the legal requirements for running this kind of business safely
- The Department of Conservation (DOC) permit to operate in public conservation areas
- Pick-ups and drop-offs from your accommodation in Queenstown
Nestled on Lake Wakatipu’s northern shores, the rustic town of Glenorchy is just 45 minutes away from Queenstown and forms the gateway to wonderful hiking trails as well as the magic of Middle-earth. The town is definitely any outdoor enthusiasts dream paradise. Located in the backdrop of soaring mountain ranges and native beech forest, Glenorchy is endowed with numerous breathtaking surroundings that are fit for fascinating photography.
The Dart River and Lake Wakatipu
These two offer several awe-inspiring sceneries which are good for excellent photography opportunities, besides other exciting activities such as kayaking and jet boating. Some of the best hiking trails in New Zealand are easily accessible from here.
The breath-taking landscapes are not only known to be good for exciting photography tours but they are a favorite location for film scouts. Some of the famous films featuring scenes from this area include The Lord of the Rings trilogy as well as Narnia movies
This awe-inspiring location is about 20km from Glenorchy. Nestled in the midst of rustic farmlands and beech forest, this heavenly place is worth its name. Its breath-taking beauty lead to its being christened “Middle-earth” and it will never disappoint in terms of numerous photography opportunities due to its scenic beauty. Consider your photography tour of Glenorchy incomplete without a visit to Paradise.
Hiking trails and photography
Some of the most picturesque hiking tracks are to be found right at the doorsteps of Glenorchy. One of the most famous Great walks of New Zealand, The Routeburn Track, is just within the vicinity. Featuring towering mountain peaks, as well as jewel-like lakes, this track offers numerous breath-taking photography opportunities points. The other renowned hiking tracks with great photography opportunities are Greenstone/Caples Track as well as Rees and Dart Track.
While in Glenorchy, you can also opt for short day photography walks, right from brief 20-minutes-strolls to whole day hikes. Mt Alfred, located at the northen side of Lake Wakatipu and just a short drive from Glenorchy, offers a perfect hiking and photography opportunity.